Winbetips is committed to keeping gambling fun and enjoyable by helping people to stay in control and gamble responsibly.
Tips and advice on how you can stay in control of your gambling to keep it fun and ensure you are always gambling responsibly can be found below. If you are concerned about your gambling or a friend or family member there are some tips on where to seek professional help and how Winbetips Tips can help you gamble responsibly.
Winbetips Responsible Gambling Tips
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose – gamble with money that you set aside for fun, like going out for drinks or to the cinema. Never use money that you need for important things like rent, bills or food.
- Don’t chase losses – don’t try and get money back by betting more and going over your limit. This usually leads to bigger losses.
- Take a break – if gambling is no longer fun then take a break.
- Set a money limit in advance – set a limit on how much money you are willing to lose before you bet or play. If you win, enjoy the money but if you lose you must quit and walk away.
- Set a time limit in advance – set a time limit for how much time you can afford to spend gambling and stop when you reach it.
- Never put gambling before friends or family – don’t put gambling before other social activities or seeing friends and family.
- Gamble for fun and not a way of making money – think of gambling as an entertainment expense – like going out for dinner or to the cinema. Gambling establishments are set up to take in more money than they payout.
- Don’t gamble if you are angry, upset or depressed – you can’t make good decisions if you aren’t in the right frame of mind.
- Don’t drink or take drugs when gambling – decisions that are made under the influence are often regretted after so don’t mix gambling with drugs or alcohol.
- Seek help – If you find yourself gambling when breaking any of the above tips then please scroll down for advice on how to get help.
Gambling Problem Signs To Look Out For
- Gambling more money to get back earlier money lost (chasing losses)
- Spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford
- Lying to family or friends about the amount of money or time you spend gambling
- Losing interest in usual activities or hobbies like going out with friends or spending time with family.
- Always thinking about gambling.
- Gambling until all of your money is gone.
- Needing to increase the stake of your gambling to feel the same excitement or buzz.
- Borrowing money off friends, family or money lenders to use for gambling.
- Resorting to theft or fraud to get gambling money.
- Feel anxious, worried, guilty or depressed.
Your Bookmaker Can Help Responsible Gambling
Every bookmaker has tools built into their site to help you stay in control and gamble responsibly:
- Deposit Limits – cap the amount you want to deposit over a certain time period from 24 hours, 7 days up to 30 days. Deposit limit decreases happen immediately but increases take 24 hours to be applied
- Reality Checks – you can monitor the amount of time you’ve been playing by setting up reality check alerts which will pop up and alert you how long you’ve been logged into your account for.
- Cool Off Period – some bookmakers such as Sky Bet have the cool off period feature where you can block access to their website for a set period of time whether it’s one day or 30 days.
- Account History – the account history feature allows you to track your betting history, deposits and withdrawals so you can keep an eye on every transaction you make.
- Self Exclusion – if you want to take a longer break you can ask bookmakers to block you from all products for a long period of time such as six months or a number of years.
Ask Winbetips To Help
If you want us to prevent you from looking at our website or social media we can do so in the following ways:
- Website Blocking Software – Our team can advise you on website filtering and blocking software such as CyberPatrol.com, GamBlock.com, NetNanny.com, Optenet PC or Betfilter.com
- Blocking Social Media Access – either email us at info @ winbetips.co.uk or tweet us @Winbetips
We will prevent you from reviewing our betting content and tips if you request us to or if any of our team feel like you are showing any signs of irresponsible gambling.
BeGambleAware aims to promote responsibility in gambling. Get key information to help recognize problem gambling, and where to find help & support if you need it.
Gambling Therapy is a free online service that provides practical advice and emotional support to people affected by problem gambling who reside outside Great Britain. Gambling Therapy is part of the Gordon Moody Association.
Gamblers Anonymous provides confidential face-to-face counseling to men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem.
GamCare is a registered charity that provides confidential telephone support and counseling to anyone who is affected by problem gambling.